Monday, December 15, 2008

Let it snow, Let it snow, Keep the COLD!

So, I know that I asked for snow, which is fine. What I didn't ask for was the sub freezing temperatures that came with it! I mean seriously, as I am sitting here, it is -1 degrees outside without the windchill. I'm freezing. I have blanketed the windows, put blankets at the base of the doors, and still my heaters run day and night to keep my house at a whopping 65 degrees. If the door opens, my house will instantly cool down at least 5 degrees and it will take hours to warm it back up again!

To add insult to injury, my parents just got home from a cruise through the Caribbean. Mom said a storm came through Belize and it was a "cool" 78 degrees. The Natives were wearing every piece of clothing the owned because it was "freezing"! If only! My mom was already wishing she was back in the warmth again! I don't blame her. They were on their way up to their new jobs in Togowtee Mountain Resort in Wyoming (elevation 8,600 Ft). (well, dad has been working there for a while as an accountant and commuting home to IF on the weekends, but this will be mom's first week there as a Hostess) I don't think their temperatures are going to be much nicer then ours have been.

As a mother, this weather holds a whole other dimension. So far they haven't cancelled school yet, even though the temperatures were in the single digits this morning when the kids have to wait for the school bus. This morning Kyrin's bus was almost 10 minutes late. That was a LONG wait (most of them were out there for 20 minutes!) for those little kids out in that cold weather. They didn't cancel outdoor recess for the kids, and if any of you know my son, he has a tendency to be well scatterbrained. He said he remembered to dress for the weather for everything but Lunch recess, he only had his coat for that one and the teachers wouldn't let him go back inside to get the rest of his gear. (No hat or gloves!) I'm just waiting for the illness to start. (Lainey already has a WHOPPER of a cold that has been going for well over 10 days now! Can't keep that kid warm for anything!) Tomorrow looks a lot worse! High temperatures of 4 degrees! I'm almost worried to send him to school. He really does still need a mother to look out for him.

While we love the white cleanness of the beautiful snow, but the cold temperatures can GO! If any of you have any tricks to keep your house warm without breaking the bank (I am PETRIFIED to see what my electricity bill is going to be this month) I'm all ears. I could use all the help I can get!

1 comment:

About Me said...

We got a good bit of snow too. I guess I have no right to complain about our abundant Reno temperatures that are well into the mid 20's for a high (only single digits for a low). As for keeping your place warm, do you think housing would frown upon a small bonfire? You could use our couch for kindling. :)