Wednesday, March 11, 2009

More doctor office drama!

I have decided that I am done going to the doctor's office. It seems every time I do they find yet another thing wrong with me! I'm done with things wrong with me! Yesterday I went back to the doctor for yet another OB check up. This time I got to do the glucose test to see if you have gestational diabetes. You know the test, where you have to drink the nasty orange drink and then have your blood drawn an hour later? That test. The test went o.k. while I was there, I didn't get light headed, throw up or do anything else to embarress myself. I thought I was golden.

Then came the blood pressure check. Yikes. I have decided I have "preformance anxiety" when it comes to that thing. When the nurse took it, it was 170/64 WOWZERS! too high is an understatement! When the doctor came in she rechecked it again, (without me knowing it was going to happen) and it was down to 130/70, still not great, but o.k. enough to let me go. (see, preformance anxiety! when I know I am going to have my bp checked it freaks out! Otherwise it is o.k.) Whew, I slid by for another couple of weeks... or so I thought.

After I got home from picking up my antibiotic (I have a sinus infection AGAIN!) There was a message from the doctors office saying they had received my results and needed to speak to me... ohhh noooo.... that is NEVER a good sign. A few minutes later the nurse called back saying my blood test results were back, and I am anemic. I need more iron. That is totally doable. It also explains my 8:30 bedtime for the last few months. =D An iron suppliment added to my daily diet and we are good to go right?!?

Wrong! She also continued to say, I didn't pass the glucose test. I get to come in for the 3 hour glucose test. I get to sit in the waiting room for 3 hours while they poke me 4 times so they can see how I process the sugar from the NASTY drink over a LONG period of time. AND if that isn't good enough, I have to fast for 12 hours before hand. Can they think up a worse test for a pregnant lady who is hungry all the time?!? To add insult to injury, they have to have it scheduled for next week, which just happens to be Spring Break. I will have ALL the children home! I have no idea how to work that one! Before the nurse hung up, I had one more question for her.... What was my glucose score? How badly did I bomb the test? Her answer, the cut off for normal is 140. Your test results, a 141. There seriously should be a margin of error to these tests!

So, I've decided I'm done. I don't want to know what else is broken on me. Anyone want to go in my place? The only good thing is that our unnamed bundle is growing exactly like they want to see so at least I am doing one thing right! We must focus on the positive!

1 comment:

About Me said...

Hey Becki,

I'm so sorry you have to deal with all of this. I wish I was there to help watch kids. Not that this helps at all, but I have been there, done that.

I'm always anemic with all my kids. My blood pressure goes weird when I'm pregnant too, it tanks, really low. Talk about light headed and out of breath. And with Celeste (always my trouble maker) I had to have the three hour glucose test cuz I missed by only ONE freakin point too! Is yours set for early in the morning? Then you only have to fast from say 9pm to 9am and it's not too too bad cuz you're sleeping through most of it.

Hang in there sweetie! You're almost to the finish line, and the winning prize is so worth it! ;-)